Soulsby Law serves clients in San Antonio, Bexar County and throughout the state.

Common questions about child custody matters answered

On Behalf of | May 10, 2022 | Child Custody

Estranged parents in Texas might have questions regarding child custody matters. These are some of the most common, along with answers.

How can I prove the other parent is unfit?

If you are worried about your child’s other parent gaining custody because you believe they are a danger to the child, you should present evidence that shows it. Anything documented like photos, videos and reports from professionals or testimony from those who know the other parent’s character can help prove that they are unfit to care for your child and have any type of custody.

Is the family court biased against fathers?

Family courts are not biased against a parent based on their gender. Some judges might have a preference for mothers, but the court does not determine child custody matters based on a parent’s gender. First and foremost, the court always considered what’s in the child’s best interests. As a result, based on the circumstances of the custody case, a father could even get full custody.

If parents are unwed and the father’s name wasn’t on the birth certificate, can he still file for custody?

Yes, a father can still file for child custody or visitation even if his name is not on the birth certificate. The father can also petition the court for a DNA test to prove that the child is his.

Can a parent get visitation even if they don’t pay child support?

Child support and child custody orders are separate, so yes, a parent can get visitation with their child even if they don’t pay child support. It’s unlawful for one parent to keep the child away from the other just because they don’t pay child support. The child has a right to maintain a relationship with both parents regardless of the situation involving child support.

Child custody matters don’t have to be hard when you have answers.