Soulsby Law serves clients in San Antonio, Bexar County and throughout the state.

Compassionate Child Custody Attorneys To Protect Your Children

Your children mean everything to you. If you are not married to their other parent, or if you are getting divorced, it is your responsibility to make sure your children’s living arrangements meet their best interests, both physically and emotionally. To best serve your children and protect your rights as a parent, turn to a San Antonio child custody lawyer at Soulsby Law.

We are an experienced and compassionate family law firm serving the San Antonio area. Our founding attorney, Kate Soulsby, is Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization as a Specialist in Family Law. She is uniquely qualified to help you with your child custody matter.

What Are The Child Custody Laws In Texas?

Texas law requires that a child support order be in the best interests of the children. Much of the time, this means that the children spend time with both parents regularly. The parents may share custody, or one parent will have sole physical custody and the other gets visitation time. But if one of the parents is alleged unfit or abusive, the other parent will probably seek to restrict access to the children.

Do Courts Consider Relationships When Deciding Child Custody?

Courts consider the bond between parent and children. The court seeks to establish where the emotional well-being of the children will be best served. Relationship factors include:

  • Each parent’s effort to support their child’s relationship with the other parent
  • Any history or evidence of neglect, abuse or domestic violence by either parent toward the other or the children
  • The mental well-being of each parent
  • The child’s preferences about which parent they want to live with
  • The parents’ preferences about custody
  • Which parent has traditionally provided the majority of the care
  • Age of the child

What Else Do Courts Look At When Resolving Child Custody Disputes?

Courts consider other factors related to the life the children will have once child custody issues are resolved. The factors include:

  • Each parent’s ability to provide a stable, supportive and loving home for the child
  • The physical environment where each parent lives
  • The impact on the child of changing custody arrangements
  • How attached the child is to their neighborhood, school, etc.

There might be other factors that the court finds relevant in your case. Be prepared to offer evidence of these factors as the court considers your case to determine how to award custody.

How Can I Prove The Other Parent Is Unfit?

If you are worried about your child’s other parent gaining custody because you believe they are a danger to the child, you should present evidence that shows it.

Anything documented, like photos, videos and reports from professionals or testimony from those who know the other parent’s character can help prove they are unfit to care for your child and have any type of custody.

Is Family Court Biased Against Fathers?

Family courts are not biased against a parent based on their gender. Some judges might have a preference for mothers, but the court does not determine child custody matters based on a parent’s gender. First and foremost, the court always considered what’s in the child’s best interests. As a result, based on the circumstances of the custody case, a father could even get full custody.

Can A Parent Get Visitation Even If They Don’t Pay Child Support?

Child support and child custody orders are separate, so yes, a parent can get visitation with their child even if they don’t pay child support. It’s unlawful for one parent to keep the child away from the other just because they don’t pay child support. The child has a right to maintain a relationship with both parents regardless of the situation involving child support.

What Types Of Custody Are There?

Parents may share joint custody or petition the court for sole custody. Joint custody is when the children split their time roughly 50/50 between the parents, and both parents have an equal say as to how the child is raised.

Sole custody is when the child lives primarily with one parent. Sole custody might also mean that the parent the child lives with will make the majority of decisions in regards to raising the child.

How Can You Make A Good Impression On The Court?

If you are serious about being your child’s primary caregiver, it’s important that you make a good impression on the court. Arrive on time for the hearing and dress in a professional manner. If you don’t own professional attire, be sure that whatever you do wear is clean and appropriate for court. Never speak unless you are asked to do so.

Establish that you have a strong bond with your child

The judge in your case will be looking for evidence that you have a strong bond with your son or daughter. You can do this by submitting call logs, visit logs or other documents indicating how you have made an effort to be in your child’s life after your divorce. You can also submit statements from your child’s doctor, teacher or others who can vouch for your ability to be a good parent.

Show that you can provide for your child’s needs

It is important that you have a house large enough to accommodate your child’s needs. It’s also important that you have enough money to pay for your son or daughter’s basic needs. Of course, if you obtain sole custody of your child, you might receive monthly child support payments.

Experienced In Post-Decree Matters

Our legal representation does not end once the court approves your child custody order. If you have an order that needs to be adjusted because of changed circumstances, we can help you make the necessary changes. And if your parenting partner is violating the terms of the plan, our child custody attorneys can take them to court to enforce your parental rights.

Do What Is Right For Your Children. Contact Our Family Law Attorneys.

Our child custody lawyers help San Antonio-area parents negotiate sustainable child custody arrangements and visitation schedules. In cases where an out-of-court settlement is not available, we develop a strong case to persuade the judge that your plan is best for your children.

Call 210-714-4830 to arrange a free initial consultation with our experienced family law attorneys. You can also email us.

Suggested Reading